Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Feeding my spirit

Much like the tortoise who only comes out of his shell to meet his basic needs for food, water and, once in a while,
the companionship of other tortoises, I am an introvert. By the middle of the work week, I literally ache for solitude and serenity, and I'm enormously grateful to come home and find it.

Work was fast-paced and hectic today. Any feelings of accomplishment I might have enjoyed on another day were overshadowed by the bruising and battering of unnecessary chatter and the noise of office machines, ringing phones, and traffic.

It's comforting, when I feel like this, to spend some time with Max Ehrmann's Desiderata, which is about as close to a religion as I have. My first exposure to this poem was at my daughter's sixth-grade graduation, when her whole class recited it. It's framed in my home and ingrained in my heart.

As I read about going "placidly amid the noise and haste," I feel myself getting calmer, and by the time I read for the thousandth time that I am "a child of the universe," I feel relaxed, at peace.

Certain music also soothes my frayed nerves, especially "A Whiter Shade of Pale," which is my all-time favorite song. Can you imagine my joy, then, as I Googled to find you a Desiderata link and found THIS?

That, my friends, is nourishment!

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaaandreeee!!! It's so great to see you here! I'll welcome you by disagreeing with you on two points: First, I've seen some of your writing, and it rocks! Second, I believe the turtle bit your nose precisely because he was an introvert. That being said, your funny turtle anecdote inspired some great visuals.

    Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to post a comment. Love right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hat was a nice site you googled

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.