Thursday, January 17, 2008

Veterinary veterans 2

Last Saturday I took Kadi to the vet to have her thyroid levels checked. In a little less than two months of twice-a-day thyroid pills, she’s gone from being considerably hypothyroid (levels too low) to just barely hyperthyroid (levels too high). She’s not shedding nearly as much hair now, and she’s lost almost four pounds since she began taking the meds. Low thyroid levels apparently cause weight gain, and Kadi was getting a little porky. The vet seems pleased with her progress and wants us to continue giving her the two pills a day until a recheck in three months’ time.

Monday, first thing in the morning, was Butch’s turn to see the doctor. For the third time in about three months, he has an anal sac infection, and this time the recommendation was surgery. The vet explained the procedure thoroughly (even going so far as to draw dog-butt diagrams on a dry-erase board), which made me feel very comfortable with the idea of having the worn-out, leaking, obsolete-in-the-first-place, anal sacs removed.

For now, Butch is on antibiotics again, to clear up the infection before he has surgery next Tuesday. I’ll be glad when he's finally able to put behind him the discomfort that has recently persisted...um...well, behind him.

I hope both dogs will soon be well enough that we can put an end to the frequent vet visits. They're already beginning to hesitate when I offer a ride in the car.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad Kadi is doing better and best wishes to Butch for his coming surgery...no more dog bootie problems! Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're catching on that ride in the car=vet, huh? Give 'em a few rides where they don't end up at the vet, just to throw them off.

    Good news about Kadi, and I'll be thinking of Butch on Tuesday.

    It's a good thing that you don't have to wait in line at the Wal-Mart pharmacy for the dog medications, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it isn't the kids its the dogs! I'm glad Kadi is doing better and good news on the horizon for Butch. Cracked me up the mental picture of your vet making butt diagrams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Velvet, I hope Butch's surgery goes well.

    Now, what are we going to do about you calling Kadi "porky?!" You KNOW she would not approve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I'm delighted that Butch is able to put his past behind him!
    Um, sorry. I'm actually glad that you take care of these guys as well as they love you. And you've reminded me, Chey is due for her shots and the horrific (to her) experience of nail clipping, next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmon, thanks for the good doggy wishes.

    Janet, when there are trips to the vet every couple of weeks, it's hard to find time to take them fun places in between. For one thing, I can't get both of them in or out of the car at the same time unless someone's here to help me. They get a little too enthusiastic when the car door opens, and I can't handle two of them on leashes.

    Katt, he drew those butt diagrams so quickly, I think he must have drawn them many times before. They sure helped me understand what would happen with the surgery.

    Creekhiker, I'm sure Kadi would say that the "porky" remark is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

    Duly Inspired, Butch hates the nail clippers, too. I cut one toenail a hair too close when he was a baby, and that was the first and last time he's willing let me or anyone else touch them. It takes three grown people now to give him a pedicure. (Although, sometimes, when he's sleeping, I can sneak up and clip the nail on one toe.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot won't let me cut his toenails either, since I cut one too close when he was a puppy. If I even pull the clippers out of the drawer he starts whimpering and leaves the room fast, even though I didn't intend to use them. (Mom wants to know why he's whimpering, that's how I know.) I take him to the vet's for a clip, or the groomer does it. Just goes to show you, one mistake and that's it. No second chances.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.