Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Odds and Ends

In the absence of anything meaty enough to fill a whole blog post, I'll just toss out these few bones:

Bad Weather
We had a couple of hours of thunderstorms this morning, along with a tornado that touched down and damaged several homes about five miles away. So far I haven't heard of any injuries, thank goodness.

It rained hard enough at my house that little waves
were forming at the edge of the carport.

On a lighter note, I must add that, after having lived so long with the severely storm-phobic Kadi and Butch, it was quite a change this morning to huddle on the sofa and watch televised weather alerts while Levi eagerly nudged me with his tennis ball.

The Garbage Incident
The raw-meat-filled garbage can I forgot to take out last week turned out to be a problem only in my mind. For some reason, the odor never got strong. There were no buzzards, no maggots. When I went out to push the can to the curb last night, there was one fly and one tiny green lizard on top of the can. I got lucky this time. 

Watchdog
A few days ago Levi woke me up in the middle of the night by standing tall next to my bed, his front paws on the mattress, and leaning down to lick my face. As soon as he knew I was awake, he walked over and put his nose on my purse, which was in a bedroom chair. After I lay there for a few seconds trying to figure out what the heck he was doing, I suddenly heard the very faint sequence of musical notes my cell phone makes when the battery is about to die. Wasn't that smart? I feel safer now that I know he stays on top of things.


Birthdays
March is a busy birthday month in our family. Both of my daughters were born in March, as was my great-grandson, Owen. We've already celebrated one daughter's birthday, and plans are underway for a small party for the other one toward the end of the month. The biggest event occurred this past weekend when Owen turned two. His mother is super creative and threw him a "planes, trains, and automobiles" party. I had the best time watching all the little kids, especially when they raced in colorfully painted cars made from cardboard boxes with paper-plate wheels. 

Here's an after-party photo of Owen with one of his favorite presents:

Photo by Kalyn Hoover

Also, it didn't skip by me that Butch would have been 14 years old on the 19th of this month. I miss that sweet old dog.

2 comments:

  1. Levi sounds like Mr. Charming! How sweet!! Mabel alerts me to nothing but wild animals... it makes me miss Maggie who's great trick was to come tell me the microwave was done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, that's funny about Maggie and the microwave. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.