Saturday, December 08, 2012

Saturday Song Selection: Shenandoah

One of my all-time favorite songs is one I first heard when I was really, really young. The lyrics refer to the "wide Missouri"--the river, not the state where I spent my childhood. Nevertheless, every time I hear the song, it takes me to the state of Missouri again. It takes me home.

The song has been recorded by so many different artists I can't count them all, but I've never heard a bad version of it. This rendition just might be my favorite:




_______________________________________________________________ 

The song is "Shenandoah" by Sissel.
Many thanks to Somewheremaybe--especially for the beautiful images--and for posting the video and lyrics on YouTube.




4 comments:

  1. Shenandoah is sung at each and every funeral in my family...also Danny Boy.

    Listen to Bruce Springsteen's version of Shenandoah and I dare you not to cry when you hear the rawness of his voice, the aching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, it's a soft, warm hug of a song--perfect for a funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sisters are almost from Missouri. Our farm was about 10 to 15 miles from the state line. Maybe that is why we don't always understand and have to be shown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister-Three, I never thought Missouri's motto was about a lack of understanding. I always thought "show me" meant "prove it." Then again, maybe that interpretation explains the phrase, "stubborn as a Missouri mule."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.