Friday, March 22, 2013

Maybe

This is one of those days when everything just feels right. As it should be. Copacetic. The bills have been paid, tax forms submitted, groceries purchased, blogs scoured for spam, spam comments deleted. No homework is due until Monday. There's housework to do, but no pressure to do it. Nobody's coming over. Heck, I dragged out the vacuum cleaner long enough ago that there's a fine coating of dust on it now. To increase my motivation to use it, I parked it right in front of the kitchen stove, where it would be in my way. I've since cooked a pot of chili around it. I might vacuum today and I might not.

The only piece of business I had hoped to conduct today is to register for a follow-up class to the art course I've been taking. It's an add-on course, not in the catalog, so the only way to register is by telephone. I made that call earlier this morning, but the girl who answered the phone identified herself as a student worker and said she couldn't take my information because she didn't want to "mess anything up." Bless her heart. I applaud her honesty. Maybe she'll follow through on her promise to have someone call me back, and I can check that off my list.

Gimpy and Levi are sleeping soundly nearby. Outside the air is full of birdsong, and there are squirrels--so many more squirrels than usual--running all over the place. I wonder why they're making themselves so conspicuous today. Maybe they know something I don't know. Maybe the redtail hawks that live in the trees behind my back fence are away today, perhaps at a swooping-and-diving seminar.


It's gray outside again, but that's perfect for a day like today. It's almost like a thank-you note from God or Mother Nature: "We know you've been busy, so today is a special gift for you. Stay indoors. Kick back. Read a book. You deserve it." Maybe that's exactly what I'll do. I'm just self-indulgent (and living in denial) enough to believe I do deserve it. So maybe I'll read for the rest of the day. And maybe I'll take a nap.

3 comments:

  1. I'm having a similar kind of day only the sun is shining... I too place my vacuum and work around it! LOL! I loved your bit about the chili (which I've been craving!).

    But I've done some reading and watched a movie while cuddling my pup. One phone call to make and one package to ship and my day will be all mine!

    You enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great photo of the squirrel -- you can see every single hair. Hope you enjoyed your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CreekHiker, maybe we both need Roombas.

    Bluffroadglass, thank you! It was a lucky shot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.