Saturday, July 13, 2013

"Let the Music Play"

I started scrolling through my iTunes list today with no particular song in my mind for a Saturday Song Selection, but when I came to this one, it felt like an excellent choice. I first heard this one on the car radio in the early '80s, then bought it on a 45 rpm record and played it on repeat for at least a couple of days afterwards. I still love it. The song is "Midnight Blue," by Louise Tucker and Charlie Skarbek:


Every time I hear that song now, it reminds me of the place where I worked back in those days. I remember walking down the hall at the office and hearing that music coming from a side office. I took a step back, popped my head in to listen, and discovered that what I was hearing was not, in fact, the same song. The sales manager had his radio tuned to a classical music program on NPR, and the program's theme song was Beethoven's "Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13 (Pathetique Sonata), Mov. 2." Same melody, different century. Beethoven did it first. I love this version almost as much.



Thanks to Alma 122509 and aaron8895 for posting these videos on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.