Thursday, June 05, 2014

Baseball Bats Don't Vandalize; Knuckleheads Do!

It's been a little over six years since I last wrote about my mailbox getting bashed in, most likely by teenaged males seeking recreation. I'd replaced the box a few days before I wrote that post. Since then I've replaced it four more times. This afternoon I'll be doing it again for the fifth time in six years.

Each of the first couple of replacements was stronger, sturdier and more expensive than its immediate predecessor, and the steel frame of each one eventually crumpled up as easily as the others had. It stands to reason. If a fine automobile were struck by a baseball bat or a tire iron in the hands of a redneck boy hanging out the window of his buddy's pickup truck, the car would sustain significant damage. Why would I expect a mailbox to hold up any better?

Mailbox vandalism is so common it has its own Wikipedia page and its own news article on the United States Postal Service website. That's strangely reassuring. The first few times it happened I took it personally; it left me with a creepy, vulnerable feeling. Now it doesn't. Now it just makes me want to pinch some yahoos' heads off.

My mailbox sits next to two others on a structure that looks like a tall, wooden hitching post. A fourth box, attached to a metal post of its own, stands right in line with the other three. I have to admit that I understand why four mailboxes in a row, all at the same height, would make an attractive target for young males bent on destruction. It's all about the challenge; I get that. What I'll never understand is why some boys are so doggone stupid.

The mailbox I bought today is a hard-plastic one, the cheapest kind available at one of the big-box home improvement stores. The neighbor in front of me turned me on to this kind about three years ago when several of us had to get replacements at the same time after someone's night of ridiculous madcap adventure. The plastic ones are more resilient; they don't dent like the steel ones do. And if they do get cracked--or if the door gets broken off and thrown on the ground like mine and a next-door neighbor's did the other day--they're less costly to replace. The one I bought today is my third one of this style.

So, my neighbors and I have learned how to reduce the cost associated with repetitive acts of vandalism, and I'm less stressed when it happens than I used to be. There's still the matter of the inconvenience:  the trip to town to buy a new mailbox, the time involved in taking the damaged box down and attaching the new one securely while traffic whizzes by, the day(s) when there's no mail delivery because there's no usable mailbox. It's annoying as all get out.

I live in a nice, safe, semi-rural area where a mailbox-bashing spree every year or so is the height of crime. That makes me lucky, I know. And I love my house. It isn't fancy, but it suits me, and coming home to it always feels great. If I could change one thing, I'd have a--no, wait, make that two things. First, I'd add another bathroom. Then (second thing) I'd want a mailbox like the kind they have in my sister's East Texas neighborhood:


Try to bash that, bozos!

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to say even mailboxes like your sister's aren't knucklehead proof. The mailboxes in my neighborhood are built like your sister's and it is not uncommon to find 3 or 4 of them knocked to the ground after a night of wild, crazy, fun by some neighborhood kids. Some of the mailboxes are replaced with the kind on metal posts while some mailbox owners have tried to repair the brick and mortar themselves with often comical results. What I never could understand was how in the world the vandals could knock one of those things over without destroying their vehicles. I found my answer while out for an early morning walk: a toppled mailbox that still had a rope tied around it. Apparently, the mischief makers lasso the mailbox and use their vehicle to pull it over! Maybe it is just a Texas thing and from the number of mailboxes destroyed around here, it must be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Joy, as the kids say, "Oh! Em! GEE!" I'm shocked! Thank you for telling me this and putting my complaint in perspective. I will no longer whine about damage to my rinky-dink mailbox when people are having to attempt brick-and-mortar work to repair damage done by kids who get their kicks this way.

      You're right: they must consider it great fun. That same young-male mindset also explains how mature men who run governments are able to convince young men to go fight and die in foreign wars. Sounds adventurous? Sounds like fun? "Hell, yeah, sign me up!"

      Delete
  2. I've got one like your sister; I think our subdivision requires it. That's a little sad. I've often wondered what is like to be on the holding end of that bat that whacks the mailboxes. It has to be prettying jarring. I may have decided to forget math, but I remember physics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about what it would be like to be on the holding end of the bat that whacks the head of the kid whose hands hold the bat that whacks the mailbox. I suppose that kind of thinking doesn't have anything to do with physics, does it?

      Delete
  3. Both my mother and brother-in-law, who live about 30 minutes from you have the brick variety. My BIL put his up after some person lost control of their car making a turn, knocked down their mailbox and the next door neighbor's before crossing the street and driving into a house. That concrete and brick box has been taken out twice in the 35 years since. When Mom moved there in the early 90s, she put up a brick one as well. It's been taken out twice... two years ago, it got knocked over in one piece! And the perp left the bumper and many engine parts on the lawn... we're not even sure how they got home!

    One neighbor of Mom's, sick of kids "landscaping" her property (and people missing the stop sign in front of house, installed 4" x 4" x 4 foot steel poles all along her flower beds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mailbox bashing must be the rural substitute for graffiti tagging. Maybe our southern boys just aren't all that artistic.

      Delete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.