Sunday, August 27, 2006

Kentucky plane crash

CNN journalists covering this morning's plane crash in Kentucky gave frequent updates regarding the location where families of crash victims were being asked to gather for official information. As I imagined the breaking hearts of those family members whose pleasant Sunday morning had been turned into a nightmare by this life-disrupting event, the words and melody of an Everly Brothers song from 1961 kept replaying in the back of my mind. It was a sad song then and it's especially sad on a day like today.

(Note: Italicized words were spoken instead of sung.)

EBONY EYES

On a weekend pass I wouldn’t have had time
To get home and marry that baby of mine,
So I went to the chaplain and he authorized
Me to send for my Ebony Eyes.

My Ebony Eyes was coming to me
From out of the skies on Flight 1203.
In an hour or two I would whisper I do
To my beautiful Ebony Eyes.

The plane was way overdue, so I went inside to the airlines desk and I said "Sir, I wonder why 1203 is so late."

He said, "Aw, they probably took off late or they may have run into some turbulent weather and had to alter their course."

I went back outside and I waited at the gate and I watched the beacon light from the control tower as it whipped through the dark ebony skies as if it were searching for
my Ebony Eyes. And then came the announcement over the loudspeaker: "Would those having relatives or friends on flight number 1203 please report to the chapel across the street at once."

Then I felt a burning break deep inside
And I knew the heavenly ebony skies
Had taken my life’s most wonderful prize,
My beautiful Ebony Eyes.

If I ever get to heaven I’ll bet
The first angel I’ll recognize,
She’ll smile at me and I know she will be
My beautiful Ebony Eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Priss: I think the people who realize that life isn't fair have an easier time of it in a way. They still hurt just as much, but they don't agonize about "why did this have to happen to me?"

    I'll join you in wishing comfort for those who have lost someone they love.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.