Saturday, September 23, 2006

It's an ill wind that blows nobody good

This time last year, my sister and her extended family were here from East Texas while Hurricane Rita huffed and puffed and tried to blow down their houses. The decision for them to come here was kind of a last-minute one; South Louisiana isn't first on anyone's list of safe places to ride out a hurricane. Their choices were limited, though, because three weeks earlier we'd filled up all the Texas shelters with Hurricane Katrina evacuees, most of whom were still there.

It was an interesting time, having them all here under such circumstances. There was a certain amount of stress as we watched the news for every tiny scrap of information available (few and far between) about conditions in their town, but it kind of felt like being on vacation, too. We had a really good time. I enjoyed their company so much it was hard for me to remember that their reason for being here wasn't a pleasant one.

Their homes did suffer some damage. My niece's home took the worst hit when a tree fell through the roof. Fortunately, the damaged portion of the roof was over the garage, and the rest of their house was habitable once the power and water were restored. All of my Texas relatives were sorely inconvenienced for a while, but I'm pretty sure they consider themselves lucky.

We've all been lucky so far this hurricane season, and I hope it stays that way for years to come. But, Sis? You probably know this, but I'll say it again anyway: If there's anything else y'all need to run from -- anything from severe weather to boredom and monotony -- I'd love for you to run this way again. I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

3 comments:

  1. it was during the big wind last year when i started reading your blog. have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always good when families can get together, even better when they can help each other, share a few smiles and lighten a load. I'm so glad we don't have such hurricane problems here in the UK Velvet.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll just have to plan a get together for a GOOD occasion. I would recommend a TX vs. LA barbecue cook off ;-) What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.