Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tears

When my grandchildren were little, I hated it when they cried. I hate it more today, now that they're grown, because today it takes grown-up hurts to make their tears flow. This past weekend they lost a friend, and there's no way anyone can kiss that kind of hurt and make it well.

This particular friend was the best man at my granddaughter's recent wedding, the best friend of her new husband. He was traveling through Texas Saturday, on his way to Galveston to board a cruise ship, when he was killed in a head-on collision.

I'd met this young man only briefly, but I stopped by the funeral home tonight to offer a little support to my family members who knew and loved him. The place was packed. As I waited in a long line, I had the opportunity to listen to others speak about him. They cried as they talked about how much they'd miss him and how he was the one others turned to when they needed their spirits lifted, then they laughed as they told stories about the way he went about lifting them. And then they cried some more.

He touched a lot of people in 28 short years. I suspect that won't stop just because he can no longer do it in person.

9 comments:

  1. That's so sad, and unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad for sure and hard for anyone to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That he was only twenty-eight makes the loss even more poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sad. My daughter lost a friend in high school to drunk driving, there just aren't any words to explain these kinds of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Velvet, I'm so sorry to learn of this loss, so sudden and so young. No doubt he's still lifting spirits, as evidenced by the family's laughter at fond stories.

    Bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had two friends leave this earth at times that seemed way to early (in their teen years)... Thanks for the reminder--every day is a gift... and none of us are entitled to tomorrow... sobering thoughts, but they help us to appreciate and seize this day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry. It makes it especially hard when the person is so young. I wish that we had been granted the capabilty to understand why; it would make it easier but not tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you've written, it is terribly difficult to see our grandchildren hurt. I wish I could take away all the pain they will face in life.

    Big grown up hurts. I am very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everybody, for your thoughtful comments on this painful topic.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.