Thursday, November 01, 2007

Celebrating a Holly-day

Earlier in the week I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours with Holly, better known to the blogging world as CreekHiker. She's visiting family here in Louisiana, and I'm so happy she could make some time for us to get better acquainted.

It didn't surprise me a bit that Holly is as warm, funny and interesting in real life as she is in her writing. In fact, one of the things I enjoy most about the blogosphere is that bloggers don't generally waste a lot of time with small talk. We write openly about what we think and feel, which makes it easy to get to know each other without a lot of pussyfooting around up front. Isn't that great?

Blogging, I think, has a wonderful way of equalizing people, pulling us from different places, ages, genders, races and experiences and letting us see that our similaries are far greater in number than are our differences. Holly and I talked about a lot of things, including why we like to write. I was touched when she told me that my blog had motivated her to write hers, and she seemed surprised to learn the story about how Alison's blog, Inspired Work of Self-Indulgence, inspired me to begin this one.

So now I'm wondering: Why did each of you decide to write down your thoughts and send them into cyberspace? You can answer as a comment here or as a post on your own blog, but if you do it on your own site, please leave a comment here so we'll know to go look for it.

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to be part of the chain? To learn, express, inspire? I started mine because I wanted a voice, and I wanted to practice writing. And really I was tired of journaling on paper at night when all the day's events were already filtered, and I was tired. Thanks for sharing this meeting with Creekhiker. I look forward to coming through Louisiana and having, not our meeting, but our reunion. Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really recall, but I think that I looked up "blogs" on Google, having heard so much about them. I thought blogs were something similar to MySpace, which I didn't want (and still don't want) to get involved in. I read a few blogs and thought it might be a fun way to let the world know I exist. Although, I don't have my blog open to the public-people who visit my blog come from other blogs that link me. I'm glad I started it-I've met a lot of great people through my blog and by visiting other blogs!

    It's wonderful that you met Holly! I'm looking forward to her posting again when she gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son talked me into writing a blog. I told him I was afraid I wouldn't have anything to say, and so I have been saying nothing about 3 times a week, now, for two years. It's a great outlet for someone who likes to write, but doesn't have the self-discipline for writing books or short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work things out as I write. As Betty says, it's a great outlet.

    And I also love to write. I have other places where I write, but I think blogging is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duly Inspired -- or, I should probably say, Duly Inspirer -- it would be great to see you again. I never imagined when I met you the last time that we'd get to know each other so well -- and in my wildest dreams it wouldn't have occurred to me that we'd get acquainted on the Internet.

    Janet, I'd only heard the word "blog" once before I read Alison's. It didn't take me long to see the possibilities, but it took almost a full year of reading other blogs before I got up the courage to start one of my own. I really enjoy yours and didn't realize until now that yours isn't open to the public. I feel lucky to be among your readers.

    Betty, welcome! I read your blog regularly and am glad your son talked you into it. Like you, judging from your comment, I value having a place where I can write about whatever I want to, when I want to, and regardless of the mood I'm in. Sometimes self-discipline stifles my creativity.

    Marion, I admire people who have developed a habit of writing. I've always loved words but never had much patience for the work entailed in writing what would likely only be read by me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Velvet, It was SO wonderful to meet you in person. You have no idea about the inspiration you provide. I have another friend who started because she was first into your blog and then mine.

    I just wanted to get back into my writing. I had stopped going to my writer's group when I had to go back to school as part of my rehab from surgery.

    Glad to be back home but meeting you was a highlight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creekhiker, reading what you write enriches my day, so I'm very happy you decided to start writing again. It's obvious there's a storyteller inside you who needed to come out.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments might be the very best thing about blogging. I love it when you care enough to share your thoughts here, so go ahead and say what's on your mind.